MTN Group is a South African multinational mobile telecommunications company, operating in many African and Asian countries. Its head office is in Johannesburg. As of December 2020, MTN recorded 280 million subscribers, making it the 7th largest mobile network operator in the world, and the largest in Africa. Active in over 20 countries, one-third of the company’s revenue comes from Nigeria, where it holds about 35% market share.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
How to share data on the MTN network
- USSD: Dial 1317# on your phone’s keypad. Select option 1: Transfer from data balance. Enter the recipient’s phone number. Select the amount of data you want to send. Select option 1: Confirm transaction.
- SMS: Send an SMS with the following format to 131:
Transfer <recipient's phone number> <amount of data>
For example, to send 500MB of data to the phone number 08012345678, you would send the following SMS:
Transfer 08012345678 500
- MTN App: Open the MTN App and sign in to your account. Tap on the “Data” tab and then tap on “Share Data”. Enter the recipient’s phone number and the amount of data you want to send. Tap on “Share”.
The maximum amount of data you can share per day is 1GB. You can share data in increments of 250MB, 500MB, 1GB, 2GB, and 5GB.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind when sharing data on MTN:
- The recipient must be an MTN subscriber.
- The recipient must have a data plan activated on their phone.
- The recipient must accept the data transfer before it can be completed.
- You will be charged a small fee for each data transfer.
How do I request data from a friend?
- Dial 1317*3# on your phone.
- Enter the phone number of your friend who you want to request data from.
- Enter the amount of data you want to request.
- Press Send.
Your friend will receive a notification asking if they want to approve your data request. If they approve, the data will be transferred to your phone.
ALSO READ: How To Share Data on Glo – Step By Step
You can also request data from a friend by sending a text message with the following format:
Transfer <space> Phone number <space> Data amount
For example, to request 1GB of data from a friend with the phone number 08012345678, you would send the following text message:
Transfer 08012345678 1GB
The text message will be sent to 131. The recipient of the text message will then be able to approve or deny your data request.
Do I need a PIN to share data?
Yes, you need a PIN to share data on MTN, Airtel, 9Mobile, and Glo in Nigeria. The default PIN for all users is 0000, but you are required to change this PIN to a new PIN that you can easily remember. To change your PIN, dial 247default PIN*new PIN#. You will receive a confirmation message if this is successful.
To share data, you will need to dial 229PINamount of dataphone number#. For example, if you want to share 100MB of data with the phone number 08012345678 and your PIN is 1234, you would dial 229123410008012345678#.
The amount of data that you can share depends on your data plan. For example, if you have a 1GB data plan, you can share up to 200MB of data.
You can also share data with multiple people. To do this, simply repeat the steps above for each person you want to share data with.
It is important to note that you can only share data with people who are on the same network as you. For example, if you are on MTN, you can only share data with people who are also on MTN.
How many times can I Share Data on MTN in a day?
You can share data on MTN Nigeria up to 2 times a day. You can share 10MB, 50MB, or 100MB in a single transaction. The maximum amount of data you can share per day is 100MB.
Here are the steps on how to share data on MTN Nigeria:
- Dial 1317# on your phone’s dialer.
- Select option 1: Transfer from data balance.
- Enter the recipient’s phone number.
- Select the amount of data to send.
- Select option 1: Confirm transaction.
Please note that you can only share data from your own data balance. You cannot share data that you have received from another person.
Sharing data on MTN Nigeria is a convenient way to help friends and family stay connected. By following the simple steps outlined above, you can easily transfer data from your own data balance to another MTN user. However, it is important to remember that you can only share data that you have purchased or received on your own account. Sharing data received from another person is not possible. So, whether you want to lend a helping hand or simply spread the joy of connectivity, sharing data on MTN Nigeria is a great option.